Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Looking Ahead

I want to prevent some of the problems we had in our household last Christmas where every sentence Alex spoke for a solid month started with "I want....." I also want to approach the holiday in a different spirit given that I feel economically pinched, and that our world is seeing tough times. Basically, I want to spend as much on giving to charity as I do giving to my family, and I want to find a way to involve Alex (and Joseph) in that. I know we can buy presents for needy children, and give food to the food pantry, but I fear that won't stop any of the "I want" mantra... I'm thinking of doing 25 really small gifts--dollar store gifts-- so each boy can open one a day, and then making sure we do something for someone else every single day. Maybe it will be sending a card or putting food in the food pantry basket at church, working on a homemade present for grandma, or buying toys for needy kids. Maybe if instead of an advent calendar with candy in it, if there is a present to open every day starting Dec. 1??? Or maybe not...

I'm putting all of the toy store ads and all of the catalogs that come in the mail straight into recycling before anyone gets a chance to open them, but I know the TV is full of ads...

So. I need advice? Anyone have any good ideas?

No comments: