Thursday, November 06, 2008

Iron

I'm supposed to be going to a work related conference in Nashville. A good six hour drive... I'm planning to visit my dear, dear friend Lynn Anne in Cincinnati tonight on the way, then leave early Friday morning to catch as many sessions as possible on Friday. Stay Friday and Saturday and come home Sunday. But I don't really want to go. I'm exhausted all the time. I only want to go because it would be a night or two away from home to rest. Perhaps I will. Perhaps I won't. I'm actually giving myself the option, tomorrow morning after staying at Lynn's of turning around and coming home. I guess as part of my quest to take better care of myself, I should skip the long drive, skip the boring conference papers, and spend Friday doing something really fun--like going to the outlet mall.

I saw the Dr. last week. For the third year in a row he told me I was anemic. I think I finally heard him. I've taken iron supplements for a few months after every visit, but never for the whole year. Perhaps my sheer exhaustion is the anemia. It is certainly worth being disciplined about taking iron three times a day if it really will help!

Dave and I talked for 30 seconds this morning-- over the din of two boys brushing teeth, not brushing teeth, jumping, grabbing, clinging, talking, complaining, and in general NOT doing what we wanted--about how we are in a marathon. Raising Joseph and Alex will take 20 plus years. We are maybe halfway. We must both pace ourselves so we have the mental and physical stamina to last. And when our boys are 20, our job will not be done, at least not with Joseph. Maybe not with Alex.

I'll let you know if I drive to Nashville. Right now, don't bet on it.

No comments: