Friday, April 03, 2009

Fatigue




I'm experiencing a level of fatigue unlike anything I've ever known. It is related to perimenopause. I saw the Dr. yesterday, and I'll spare you the details, but he was reassuring. I don't feel as if I've been a very good parent of late, but I'm following the adage that "you need to put on your own oxygen mask first..." Dave is stepping into the void--as he always does. I'm encouraged by the thought that there is an end to this stage of life. Some stages of life have been difficult to leave. This one will not.

Speaking of life stages... I see subtle signs of approaching puberty in the boys. Whoa! Slow down there!!! They aren't there yet... They are still my little boys, but they just keep growing, and I know the season of change is just around the corner. I guess I'm ready for some changes and not for others. Too bad we don't get to pick and choose.

Oh, and speaking of changes: Between now and next October I expect to be a great auntie 5 times over. All on my side of the family. That brings the total of great nieces and nephews to 15--11 on my side, 4 on Dave's. Oh my! I will NOT be crocheting or knitting something for all of them, unless this fatigue leaves and I quit sleeping nine or more hours every night!!! I enjoy being a great aunt. I imagine it is almost as much fun as being a grandparent--or at least I pretend it is! I love babies--especially those for whom I am not responsible.

No comments: