Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A braided rug Chapter 1



I've long wanted to make a braided rug. I started last week, the day a box arrived in the mail holding the metal "braidkins" that help you fold the material before you braid it and the metal "bodkin" that helps you sew the braids together. I had already started tearing the strips of wool and sewing them together. I'm putting this one in front of the kitchen sink, so I'm using brown, a variety of yellows and golds, some black/gray herringbone, a gray/brown/yellow plaid, and probably some plain black before it is all done. All are colors from the counter top in the kitchen.

The middle is a bit "puffy" but so far the learning curve for this project has not been bad. I've pretty quickly figured out how tight to braid and how tight to pull the lacing twine. I have a blister on my index finger from pulling the twine.

I'd love to watch an experienced rug braider work. I'm sure I'd learn much more quickly. Anyone know such a person?

Oh, and you don't need to tell me that I have 15 projects going at the same time. I know it.

P.S. Kris from Resweater--The yellow I'm working with in this photo is from your blanket!

1 comment:

Claudia said...

I want to move in and make projects with you! :)

This rug is beautiful!