Sunday, May 16, 2010

Garden mostly in



I worked hard today to get most of the garden in. Rain expected next few days. Garden just opened yesterday.

It almost feels like cheating to garden in a community garden where a tractor plows the plot for you. No shovel needed. Just plant. We don't have enough sun at home to do a decent garden. This community garden is about 1/2 mile away. Free with a suggested 25 dollar donation to church whose property is used for the garden. If they plow, and they have water barrels full all summer so I don't have to haul water from home, I'm happy.

I didn't use the black plastic last year, but I got a double size plot this year and didn't want to spend all summer weeding. I observed the gardening techniques of others last summer. The black plastic seems pretty successful--especially if you get it secured well enough.

I'll post more photos as the summer progresses.

FYI 3 hills zuchinni, 2 hills pumpkin (new this year), 2 hills cucumber, two rows green beans, 14 tomato plants, 2 pepper plants, and soon four short rows of corn (also new this year). I'm also letting one of Joseph's helpers have about a third of the second plot. Unless I get really crazy and plant four long rows of corn! The raccoons might get the corn, so I think I'll start small. Anything I'm forgetting?

No comments: