Sunday, October 12, 2008

Under the Weather

We had a big weekend planned--and I started getting sick Friday night.  I managed to get through the whole day Saturday before crashing for the whole day Sunday.  Dave and I cleaned house Saturday morning and then took the boys to hear the OSU marching band before the game--  The band plays a free run through of the music for the game starting two hours before kickoff.  They draw probably 5,000 to hear the show.  I was supposed to be on the floor with the band, but we were late, and ended up in the stands.  Ironically, we sat next to an elderly man that had been born with a cleft lip and palate.  I had noticed how his profile resembled Joseph's, but thought he must have tooth issues because of age.  He stopped Dave as we were leaving to introduce himself and proudly told Dave his cleft had been "bilateral."  He was very interested in Joseph.  So, it ended up being a great blessing that we were late and NOT on the floor with the band.  

The boys went to a day camp on campus during the game.  It is held in the student rec center.  They swim, play, watch the game, and hang out with other kids.  It is easier than finding a sitter, and costs about the same.   I like including the boys in game day activities.  

The game itself was a snoozer, but we had tickets from a colleague who has GREAT seats.  We were surrounded by players' friends and family.  Row nine, 40 yard line.  Absolutely fascinating to sit that close.   It is a whole different experience than we have in our usual seats.

The cherry on top of the sundae for me Saturday was seeing two friends--one I used to work with that moved on to bigger and better things, and one from our old neighborhood.  I miss them both so much.  I must do a better job staying in touch.


No comments: